Day 120::September 4, 2010

One year ago today Douglas asked me to be his wife!  This is the first rose he gave me on our second date.  We had a picnic by a river in Gadsden, AL.  Doug brought shrimp linguine alfredo, Milo's sweet tea, caramel ice cream and perfect pink rose.  What a treasure this will be for us in the years to come.



The Proposal...
Friday, September 4, 2009, Doug asked me to marry him on the side of Stretch Road on Berry College campus.  I was at work that day and I knew he was on his way to come see me for the weekend.  I got a phone call from him that afternoon around 4:45.  He sounded out of breath and said that his car battery had died.  I asked where he was and offered to leave work early and come help him out since I knew he would be close.  Doug never told me where he was.  Rather he insisted that I don't leave work and that I stay until exactly 5:00 like a good employee.  He also asked that I call him when I decided to leave.  So at 5:00 I called him back and he asked that I just hang tight for about 5 more minutes.  I thought he was being awfully strange but anyone that knows Doug knows he always has a reason for what he does.  So I left work a few minutes later, got in my car and headed off campus.  

As I headed down the three mile "stretch" of road to main campus, I started seeing handmade signs that read... "Hey"..."You"..."I think you're pretty special"..."I love you with all my heart" (At this point I thought, "Aww, someone is about to get proposed to!"  I had no idea it would be me... THEN I saw Doug and I started shaking and smiling and pulling the car over) ..."So I was wondering"..."Will you marry me?"

I jumped out of the car, ran across the road, hugged Doug and said, "YES!!!"  Out of breath, Doug replied, "Good!  I have a ring for you!"  After he put the ring on finger, he explained that he was telling the truth about his car battery being dead.  He was out of breath because he had to literally run down the road to put the signs up.  I got lucky that I missed the dead car because it was right behind the first sign!  He was in his mom's car though, so that must have thrown me off.  So to celebrate the beginning of our life together, I jumped off his car and we drove happily all the way home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment