Life As We Know It

Spring is here and that means yardwork.  Now when Doug and I got married, I made it really clear that I didn't want to do any yardwork.  None.  Especially pull weeds.  It used to feel like a punishment growing up, when I was told to go pull weeds.  I would only do it if my parents offered to pay me, and only then if there was something I really wanted to buy.

Well, life has changed a bit and I do pull weeds, although not often enough.  I don't get paid for it, and there are a lot of things I want.  What I do enjoy though is making our yard look nice.  During the fall we pulled up all the plants in front of our house and it looks so bare.  Earlier this week I found some great plants to put in their places.  Cleyeras, zenias, and petunias to be exact.  I am SO excited to have a blanket of color in front of my house.  There will be bold pinks, dark blues and bright yellows, coupled with the beautiful shiney green leaves from the cleyaras.  Things are in full bloom in the back yard too!  We've got roses of all different colors, yellow and purple irises, white star-like flowers that I don't have a name for, and hydrangias. 

We recently added a new color to the back yard, although it's a bit hard to spot sometimes.  A few weeks ago, I added 18 (I think) goldfish to our little pond!  I just love sitting outside on the swing watching the fish after I feed them.  There is something peaceful and wonderful about simply enjoying nature.

Doug has started the garden again!  This year he's planting tomatos, carrots, cucumers, squash, corn, potatos, beans, watermellon, basil, cilantro, oregano, sage..... and maybe a few more things that I can't remember.  I think this year's garden is going to be big and delicious!  We will also have our blueberries and figs, and possibly the muscadines.  Yum!  We've toyed with the idea of having chickens and a cow, but I could never have a pet that I eat later in life.

Overall, we are enjoying and loving life.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment